The Survey of the Health of Wisconsin maintains a state-of-the-art biorepository of population-based biosamples. Our specimens are available to researchers from the University of Wisconsin-Madison as well as other research institutions.
Our biorepository inventory contains only samples for participants who consented to having samples stored for future unspecified research. Although not required, it is advisable to contact us to discuss research ideas and learn more about the SHOW biorespository data and availability prior to making any biosample requests.
- Check availability of biospecimens in the tables below and determine if you need one or more aliquots per sample. You can also submit a biospecimen availability request form.
- Submit a biosample request form to email@example.com. You can request specimens based on a number of specific criteria outlined in the form.
- The SHOW scientists will review your request and will make recommendations for approval. This process may take up to two weeks.
- We will notify you if your request receives approval and will arrange sample distribution.
- For most studies, we will require IRB approval prior to the use of SHOW biosamples.
Please contact us if you have any questions.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
- Serum: stored in 0.5 ml aliquots at -80°C
- Plasma: stored in 0.5 ml aliquots at -80°C
- Urine: stored in 1.5 ml aliquots at -80°C
- DNA: extracted from whole blood, stored in TE buffer at -80°C
|UW rate||Non-UW rate|
|0.5 ml serum||$7||$10|
|0.5 ml plasma||$8||$11|
|1.5 ml urine||$5||$8|
|DNA (whole blood) 50 microliter aliquots; 30-500 ng/microliter||$5||$10|
|Whole blood RNA||Please inquire|
|Handling fee||100 or fewer samples
For every additional 500 samples (or fraction of 500)
|Shipping fee||If samples are shipped outside of UW-Madison, additional shipping and dry ice fees will apply|
Note: The biosample rates include up to 50 variables from the SHOW database for each biospecimen. Additional variables are subjected to extra fees.
|Biosample Availability: By Demographic|
|Male||Female||Urban||Rural||Non-Hispanic white||Black or African American||Hispanic||Other|
|Biosample Availability: By Age Group|
|18 < 30||30 < 40||40 <50||50<60||60<70||70+|
|Biosample Availability: By Select Characteristics|
|Hypertension||Diabetes type I and II||Body Mass Index (BMI)|